Sunday, July 26, 2009

A letter for home.

I was happily questing on my Rogue Jadedfury today. Started working on the quests from Stars Rest in Dragonblight and was really having fun stealthing from target to target assassinating them before they could even mutter a sound! I received the quest The focus on the beach and made my way to the beach to find the captain.

(From Jadedfury's perspective)

I found Captain Emmy Malin outside of the Focusing Ring. With flashing blades she quickly met her end and I rifled through her corpse for the quest items I needed. That is when I found a
letter. The letter had dried tear stains on it, and you can tell from the handwriting that it was written in a hurry. I opened the letter and as I read the words written on the parchment, my stomach tightened and my knees felt weak. The words forever ingrained in my memory went like this;
"Father,

I'm sorry for disappearing on you. If you're reading this letter, then I'm dead.

I've been forced to work for Malygos's armies under threat that our family would be killed if I didn't. I feel so ashamed.

If there's anything that you can do to fight them, don't worry about me. I have them fooled and I'm sabotaging them from the inside.

I love you, Daddy!

Em"
I took the ring and used it on the focus as I was instructed to do. I then brought the ring, and the letter back to Commander Saia Azuresteel. Upon reading the letter she tried to console me... telling me that I wouldn't be implicated. Implicated? I had just murdered an Archmage's daughter. If that wasn't enough, she had been trying to help us. Sabotaging Malygos's plans at her own peril. She wasn't found out by him, no. Instead I ended her life in search of information. I sure hope it was worth the cost.

As if my guilt wasn't deep enough. Archmage Malin sent me a letter thanking me. THANKING ME for retrieving the letter. This is what the letter he sent said;
Dear Jadedfury,

Commander Azuresteel's personal courier saw to it that I received my daughter's letter. The courier also told me it was you who found it.

I just want to thank you for seeing to it that the letter got to me. I know that times must be tough for all of you brave souls who are daring to fight in Northrend.

Rest assured that I will avenge Emmy. The Blue Dragonflight will suffer for what they did to my little girl!

With the utmost respect and gratitude,

Archmage Malin

Would he think differently if he knew that it was I who killed her?

==========================

The sad thing is... this isn't the first time I've done the quest... but this was the first time I read the quest text. There are many quests out there that play on your heartstrings. There are some that make you question morality. This quest was different. I was doing what I was told to do, and without questioning I murdered an ally. This wasn't throwing off the balance by working for a satyr, or accidentally eating an amberseed. There was no question in my mind that I was doing the right thing by killing this servant of Malygos. One letter later... and I'm questioning all my actions.

I know that it is just a game, but it makes me wonder how many more double agents were killed by my hand? How many would be heroes were just in the wrong place at the wrong time? How many daughters and sons had I killed? Many times I skip through the quest texts and objectives just focusing on finishing the objectives as quick as possible. Every once in awhile... a quest like this will stop me in my tracks.

No comments: